OpenJDK 6 Skeleton Plan for OSX Universal Binary
landonf at plausible.coop
Wed Oct 27 17:12:16 PDT 2010
On Oct 27, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Rob Ross wrote:
> The stated license for the project is the same as OpenJDK7, so there would be no difficulties in pulling the JKoala code into OpenJDK down the road if that made sense for everyone.
> I think having a separate, single-focused effort by a guy who knows how do to what needs to be done is the most important first step right now. Who knows when Oracle is/is-not going to do anything for the Mac JDK.
I would personally like to see what we can accomplish as part of the OpenJDK BSD-Port project, as well as trying to open a dialog with Oracle (and maybe Apple), if possible. I'd like to try to see what Oracle's interest is, whether they'd be willing to offer code or support, and to make sure that we're not just replicating work that they are (or will) do internally.
Additionally, there's a lot of work that needs to be done simply to bring OpenJDK 7 (and 6) to a production-level state on Mac OS X:
- Implementing proper "dual-mode" support for x86 and x86-64 JVMs
- Up-to-date openjdk6 release
- Re-sync with JDK7 mainline, fix Mac OS X build errors that have emerged.
- Conformance testing with the TCK
- Real-world usage, testing, and fixing the bugs that are uncover.
- Out-of-the-box Mac OS X Integration via http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/Java/JavaSnowLeopardUpdate3LeopardUpdate8RN/NewandNoteworthy/NewandNoteworthy.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010380-CH4-SW1
- (Possibly) Dtrace support
- (Possibly) PowerPC and ARM support via zero/shark project
If there's anything here that you might want to help with (or think I missed -- I probably did), your help is clearly welcome.
I do have the latest OpenJDK6 patchset mostly working on Snow Leopard, I'll need to complete this and see if we can't get it working on Leopard, too. Once that's done, I'd like to start posting updated binaries that the community can test their applications with.
Some immediate questions I have:
- Is it be possible to have a more customizable home page for OpenJDK BSD-Port, specifically one where we could post binaries?
I have been posting binaries on the SoyLatte page, but I'd like to move away from that -- especially since there seems to be some confusion regarding SoyLatte vs OpenJDK.
- What official channels should we go through to discuss coordination, Oracle's plan's, etc?
More information about the bsd-port-dev