OpenJDK 7 project 'charset-enhancement'
Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Mon May 18 17:13:56 UTC 2009
I guess, you have noticed, that since some time I'm working on enhancing
the JDK's charset de/encoding:
Dalibor Topic and Martin Buchholz have suggested to create a new OpenJDK
7 project to make those enhancements available for OpenJDK 7 under GPL.
It should cover following topics:
- enhancing performance
- reducing disk-footprint
- reducing memory consumption
- discussing different strategies to serve differing frequency of
occurrence of characters in charsets
- discussing coder result accuracy against compatibility of legacy behaviour
- extending functionality, e.g.:
- - adding short cut methods to speed up direct array access
- - adding short cut for replacement coders
- - adding methods to terminate the decoding on occurrence of exclusive
cipher. See: Bug 6695386
- providing wrapper to replace converter classes from sun.io package
The project should be a clone from jdk7/tl/jdk tree.
In near future there should be a survey about launching this project.
More information about the core-libs-dev