Proposal for adding O_DIRECT support into JDK 9

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at
Tue Sep 27 15:45:17 UTC 2016

On 26/09/2016 19:50, Lu, Yingqi wrote:

> Alan, you mean readv0/write0 or read0/write0? I just want to make sure :-)
Apologies, I meant each of the native methods where the decision to use
direct I/O or not would be a lot more maintainable in Java. You'll see
that there are already code paths for direct vs. heap buffers.

> Anyone else has other opinions on where is the best home for O_DIRECT flag? The flags under jdk.unsupported will eventually be removed in the future JDK release?
> If we agree ExtendedOpenOpen is the best home for O_DIRECT, we can modify that for sure.
I think ExtendedOpenOption is the right place. It's still TDB as to
whether to put these extensions but that should be transparent to anyone
using this when on the class path.