Collections.emptyList().sort() does nothing

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at
Fri Nov 17 07:14:32 UTC 2017

On 11/15/17 11:52 PM, Tagir Valeev wrote:
>> While this isn't guaranteed by the spec, changing these at this point would be a behavioral incompatibility, so we're unlikely ever to change them.
> But this behavior will not be specified as well, right?

I don't have any plans to change the docs to specify that these particular
implementations allow calling a no-op mutator method (i.e., they do not throw an

The Collection class specification allows for flexibility in how implementations
deal with such cases. See the paragraph that begins «The "destructive"
methods....» My copyOf proposal, recently reviewed, rewords this somewhat but
keeps this flexibility.