RFR 8186961 Class.getFields() does not return fields of previously visited super interfaces/classes.

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Thu Nov 30 22:41:40 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-30 23:25, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>> On 30 Nov 2017, at 13:00, Claes Redestad <claes.redestad at oracle.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> as expected this is quite a bit easier to follow. Thanks!
>> As any heavy use of reflection is likely to hit cached data, then heavily optimizing might be ill-advised here.
>> A simpler optimization might be to check if the class has any superclass or interfaces whatsoever first, since if not then publicFields == privateGetDeclaredField(true). This might reduce number of LinkedHashSets created for many trivial class hierarchies significantly for only a nominal increase in code complexity, and actually reduce the retained set a bit.
> I am resisting the temptation to do that right now, i threw away a highly optimal implementation, i liked it, but you might not :-) An intermediate solution is to create a pre-sized Field[][] and not be as smart about that allocation.

Joel points out the obvious fact that the only class that doesn't have a
superclass is Object, so my optimization idea wouldn't be very effective
without also checking that the super class isn't Object, making it less
sweet as a middle-ground option.

Any optimization should probably be done as a follow-up, anyhow. The
current patch looks fine as-is to me.

> Mandy is gonna take a careful look next week.

Yes, I'd not count my review as a capital-R review in this area. Too
much history. :-)