RFR JDK-8191918: tomcat gzip-compressed response bodies appear to be broken in update 151

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Thu Nov 30 22:46:15 UTC 2017

Please help review the change for  JDK-8191918:

issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8191918
webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/8191918/webrev

This is the backport/identical change we have already putback into
earlier update
releases for JDK-8189789. It includes two changes

(1) to replace the change we put into jdk9 for #8184306 with the "official"
change currently in zlib github repo

(2) to change the way we handle the returned result Z_BUF_ERROR. Now the
implementation expects that there might be bytes read from the input and
written to the output buffer when the deflateParams()/deflate() returns
Z_BUF_ERROR. It is "interpreted as there is no enough buffer space for
all output,
but the deflater has decoded input bytes and write out output bytes as
many as
possible, come back with more available output space".

See related github/zlib discussions at #275 [1] and #305[2]

[1] https://github.com/madler/zlib/issues/275
[2] https://github.com/madler/zlib/issues/305