[11] RFR JDK-8198249: Remove deprecated Runtime::runFinalizersOnExit and System::runFinalizersOnExit

mandy chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Thu Feb 15 23:06:54 UTC 2018

Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit has been deprecated since 1.2 (1998)
and deprecated for removal in JDK 9.  We analyzed the maven central
artifacts few years ago that show very few uses of it.  I also
survey a recent version of most of the maven artifacts that references
runFinalizatsOnExit no longer references it.  I propose to remove
Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit and System.runFinalizersOnExit methods
in JDK 11.

CSR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8198250

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2015-January/031041.html