Mark-of-the-Beast security bug --- community collaboration?

Mark Wielaard mark at
Tue Feb 8 11:01:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 10:59 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > It would be great if we could find this and patch
> > OpenJDK 6 deployments ASAP.
> There has been extensive discussion on the core-libs mailinglist, with a
> patch and some historic digging to find where the issue came from.
> Short story, it was already found through the Free Software Jacks
> testsuite in 2001 (!).
> reported by the Jikes compiler hacker Eric Blake.
> The bug report even has a
> suggested fix. Dmitry Nadezhin posted a patch in 2009, but unfortunately
> that didn't make it in.
> It was rediscovered through the php issue a week ago.
> Andrew Haley almost immediate posted a new patch for it last week.
> Hopefully it will go into IcedTea6 ASAP according to Andrew Hughes.
> With possibly more security fixes following next week.

For those that cannot wait and need a fix right now Marc Schoenefeld of
the Red Hat Security Response Team created a script that will create a
jar that you can use with -Xbootclasspath/p:prevent_double_dos.jar to
mitigate the DoS bug till there are full new security releases: