IcedTea 1.7 released!
Andrew John Hughes
gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Sun Jun 1 20:22:26 PDT 2008
We are proud to announce the release of IcedTea 1.7.
The IcedTea project provides a harness to build the source code from
OpenJDK (http://openjdk.java.net) using Free Software build tools and
provides replacements libraries for the binary plugs with code from the
GNU Classpath project. More information on IcedTea can be found at
IcedTea is based on the hard work of a lot of people that contributed to
IcedTea6 (see the recent announcement of 1.2) and OpenJDK. The following
noteworthy changes are included in this release (summarised by Mark
- Paul Hohensee published a GNU/Linux hotspot Sparc port and Matthias
Klose integrated it into IcedTea.
- Keith Seiths and Andrew Haley made fixes to the awt color package so
that it now provides the lcms library with PYCC and LINEAR_RGB ICC
profiles, fixing several applications that did complex color
- Karl Helgason wrote a midi software synthesizer called Gervill that
is now integrated in IcedTea so that javax.sound.midi support works
now. Mark Wielaard integrated it and made some fixes so that it works
better with javax.sound.sampled.
- Jonathan Gibbons released a free version of jtreg, which was imported
into IcedTea by Mark Wielaard so that a make check now runs all the
functional unit tests integrated into OpenJDK.
- Joshua Sumali made lots of fixes to the javaws/netx support. Including
improved security, namely catching Socket permissions during runtime,
implementing the remaining JNLP services api (PrintService and
JNLPRandomAccessFile), and applet focusing bug fixes, so now netx
plays nice with gcjwebplugin.
- Kelly O'Hair resolved the license issues with the (j)hat tool which is
- Lillian Angel and Tom Fitzsimmons added several .desktop files for
the various tools included for better GNU/Linux desktop integration.
- Thomas Fitzsimmons rewrote the cacert support to resolve issues with
applications like Glashfish and Eclipse which access the keystore
- Lillian Angel made lots of bug fixes to the packaging and integration
support, include improving the font support.
- IcedTea6 1.2 and IcedTea 1.7 are completely synced up again thanks
to Andrew John Hughes.
- Andrew also did all the work to make sure IcedTea is now based on
OpenJDK7 b26 as released by Xiomara Jayasena.
- Thomas Fitzsimmons rewrote the certificate keystore support.
- Christian Thalinger made various cacao integration fixes.
The tarball can be downloaded here:
The following people helped with this release:
Lillian Angel, Gary Benson, Thomas Fitzsimmons, Andrew Haley, Andrew
John Hughes, Matthias Klose, Dan Munckton, Parag Nemade, Keith Seitz,
Joshua Sumali, Christian Thalinger, Mark Wielaard, Yi Zhan
We would also like to thank the bug reporters and testers!
Full build requirements and instructions can be found in the INSTALL
file in the top-level directory of the release. However,
should be a good start.
Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK
PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8
More information about the distro-pkg-dev