IcedTea 1.10 released!
Andrew John Hughes
gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Fri May 29 09:39:04 PDT 2009
We are proud to announce the release of IcedTea 1.10.
The IcedTea project provides a harness to build the source code from
OpenJDK (http://openjdk.java.net) using Free Software build tools,
along with a number of additional features:
* Plugin support
* javaws support via netx
* Multiple architecture support via Zero/Shark
- Updated to OpenJDK7 b59 build via IcedTea forest. Now includes
SCTP and Nimbus Swing look and feel.
- Static trace support through systemtap.
When given the configure option --enable-systemtap IcedTea will build
hotspot with the dtrace static markers enabled and install an hotspot
tapset that can be used to dynamically trace execution of java
applications at runtime. See the tapset/hotspot.stp file for
documentation of the various trace points and arguments available.
- Allow building of other virtual machines besides the default VM. Additional
virtual machines on architectures where hotspot is available are cacao
and zero (or shark), and cacao, where zero (or shark) is available. It's
not possible to build cacao as the default VM, and zero as additional VM.
- New options --enable-nimbus and --enable-nimbus-generation. The default
is that the first is on but the second is off, so Nimbus is built but
without needing to generate the files using JIBX
- VisualVM updated to 1.1.1.
- Many build fixes, notably to make netx/the plugin work. IcedTea7 now
avoids the binary plug mechanism in favour of using the same method as
CORBA, JAXP, JAXWS and langtools to import the plugin/netx code.
- Several web browser plugin and javaws support fixes:
- Fixed security handling to prevent access denials when there is a site
specific exception in the policy file
- Allow extensions (chrome) to run Java code with full permissions
- Added non-trusted SSL support to WebStart (javaws)
- Added proxy support
- Other improvements that were breaking specific sites (tag parser fix,
nested jar support, etc.)
- Added JVM Console (used by http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/)
- Experimental new plugin enabled by --enable-npplugin.
- Original plugin is now enabled by --enable-plugin, not --enable-liveconnect.
- LCMS security fixes.
- Many build improvements.
- Many zero/shark jtreg fixes.
- Other bug fixes.
The tarball can be found here:
Thanks to Lillian Angel, Fedora RPMs will shortly be available from:
Ubuntu packages will also be available shortly; Matthias Klose will
provide further information via e-mail when this occurs.
The following people helped with this release:
Lillian Angel, Gary Benson, Deepak Bhole, Andrew Haley, Andrew John
Hughes, Ioana Ivan, Matthias Klose, Omair Majid, Xerxes Rånby, Robert
Schuster, Mark Wielaard
We would also like to thank all the bug reporters and testers!
To get started:
$ hg clone http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/release/icedtea-1.10
$ cd icedtea-1.10
Full build requirements and instructions are in INSTALL:
$ ./configure [--enable-visualvm --with-openjdk --enable-pulse-java
--enable-systemtap --enable-zero --enable-shark...]
If you're packaging 1.10 for your distro, now is the time to start your engines!
Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)
Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK
PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8
More information about the distro-pkg-dev