ZipPy status update

Wei Zhang ndrzmansn at
Fri Dec 20 13:25:27 PST 2013

Hi all,

I want to give you a short update about the status of ZipPy, the
Python truffle implementation we've working on at UC Irvine.

I attached the performance charts that compare ZipPy to the other
major Python 2 or 3 implementations like CPython and PyPy.
The best speedup over CPython3.3 so far is over 100x on fannkuchredux.
Please refer to the link below for more numbers:

In general, we are getting fairly close to PyPy with a few benchmarks
running even faster.

Built-in function specialization and inlining give a substantial boost
on performance. Thanks to Gulfem Savrun Yeniceri for rewriting all the

In terms of optimizations, ZipPy currently uses shape based object
model, unboxed collection type storage for list and array. I
implemented inline caching for attribute accesses in Python, but
still having compilation problems. This is the reason why I didn't
include more object intensive benchmarks like richards.
We also plan to apply some specific optimizations for Python generators.

Hope you all have a great holiday!