RFR 8190800: Support for vectorization of sqrt float
Lupusoru, Razvan A
razvan.a.lupusoru at intel.com
Sat Nov 18 00:34:13 UTC 2017
You are very welcome and it is nice we had same idea for implementation :)
Regarding your questions:
1) I did not want to change other architecture .ad files because I do not have the means to test them. Because of that, you will see that the Ideal conversion restricts conversion to SqrtF node only for architectures that have a Matcher entry. Namely all non-x86 architectures will work exact same way as before - this ensures I did not break anything for them.
2) It appears that it is general convention in the .ad file that all “packed” combinations are supported. Thus, you will find many places where 2F is a supported combination. That is because the vectorizer may decide (unlikely) that it should pack only 2 floats. The AVX instruction will apply transform on all 4 lanes (when 128 bit), but the caller of that .ad entry will only look at the resulting 2 relevant float lanes (as reflected by dst being vecD). I have ensured now that all 2F entries use vecD.
3) You are right - that is a copy/paste error. It should say “float” instead of “double”.
I have uploaded a fixed webrev here: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rlupusoru/jdk_hs/webrev_sqrtf_03/
From: Jacek Tomaka [mailto:jacekt at dug.com]
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 4:03 PM
To: Lupusoru, Razvan A <razvan.a.lupusoru at intel.com>
Cc: hotspot-compiler-dev at openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: RFR 8190800: Support for vectorization of sqrt float
Thank you for making this patch available.
I have a few questions regarding your changes:
1. Would it make sense to get rid of match(Set dst (ConvD2F (SqrtD (ConvF2D src)))); for other platforms as well(and just use match(Set dst (SqrtF src));), now that ConvD2FNode::Ideal does similar job?
2. What would be situations where instruct vsqrt2F_reg and instruct vsqrt2F_mem would be used? Isn't AVX only >128 bit?
3. In subnode.hpp i think the comment should mention float not double. It is +// square root a double currently.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the hotspot-compiler-dev