RFR: 8036699: Add trace event when a metaspace allocation fails
erik.helin at oracle.com
Thu Mar 6 09:00:21 UTC 2014
this patch adds the new trace event vm/gc/metaspace/allocation_failure.
The event will be sent when we get an allocation failure in metaspace.
The event will contain the following information:
- classLoader - the class loader doing the allocation
- anonymousClassLoader - if the classLoader is anonymous
- nativeStackTrace - a VM stack trace (see more below)
- metadataType - the kind of metadata (class or non-class)
- metaspaceObjectType - the kind of metaspace object
The field nativeStackTrace will contain a string representation of the
Threads C frames (up until the first Java frame). This is very useful
for debugging metaspace allocation failures coming from VM internals
such as the interpreter or GC code.
I would especially appreciate if someone could look over the code in
metaspaceTracer.cpp performing the stack walking.
- JFR JTREG tests
- Manual stress testing of the stack walking code by writing small test
programs that causes metaspace allocation failures from both Java
threads and non-Java threads.
More information about the hotspot-dev