CRR (S/M): 7075646: G1: fix inconsistencies in the monitoring data

Tony Printezis tony.printezis at oracle.com
Wed Aug 10 12:34:53 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I would like a couple of code reviews for some fixes in the G1
monitoring code:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tonyp/7075646/webrev.0/

The main motivation behind these changes is that G1's jstat output has
inconsistencies and has been causing a few test failures. Here's a quick
summary of the changes:

- Reworked the way the capacities of the various spaces are calculated
so that only the eden space used counter needs to be updated when a new
eden region is allocated.
- Now the values of the various sizes that need to be reported are
calculated synchronously in all the appropriate places in the code and
stored so that they do not need to be recalculated every time they are
required.
- The jstat counters for the young / old gen capacity are now correctly
updated.
- We ensure that when we are reporting a capacity to jstat we
artficially pad it so that it's never 0 (as jstat does not handle 0
capacities gracefully).

I attached a file that has before / after output comparisons, along with
some commentary, for the various jstat GC parameters.

Tony