JVM hanging when using G1GC on JDK8 b78 or b79 (Linux 32 bit)

Uwe Schindler uschindler at apache.org
Wed Mar 6 11:17:50 PST 2013


Hi,

> Hi Uwe,
> 
> You must have been reading my mind. See inline....
> 
> On 3/6/2013 10:50 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Thanks for the response and the analysis, very informative!
> >
> >> Uwe:
> >> Thanks for bringing this up and my apologies for not replying sooner.
> >> I will have a fix fairly soon. If I'm correct about it being caused
> >> by overflowing the marking stack you can work around the issue by
> >> increasing the MarkStackSize.you could try increasing it to 2M or 4M
> >> entries (which is the current max size).
> > Is there a setting on the command line to raise this size? This would be
> great to check out if one can also do the opposite (lower the size on 64 bit
> JVM to make the 64 bit one also hang). Unfortunately as a Java programmer I
> am not so familiar with building the JVM on Ubuntu machines (including the
> needed IcedTea), so it's hard to me to try this out - I would not even know
> how to start doing this or finally how to get something like a standard JDK
> directory so you could use it as JAVA_HOME.
> 
> Use:  -XX:MarkStackSize=4M to increase the marking stack size in a 32 bit run.

I will give it a quick try!

> > If you need a verification that your patch is working, it would be good to get
> a i586 Linux tgz file with a binary, so I can do a quick check on the Jenkins
> server that found the bug. Otherwise we would need to wait until a new
> build appears on jdk8.java.net (including the fix + other fixes in javadoc/javac
> tool and the class library that we reported earlier).
> >
> > I could also assist in setting up a Lucene build directory (as
> > reported on the first email), to reproduce the problem with the Lucene
> > source code (which is very easy). As said before, I have no isolated
> > test case :(
> >
> 
> I just sent you email. I downloaded a zip file that contains all the jar files. I
> don't have ant on my system so ideally I'm looking for a java command line to
> tickle the crash. Can you help?

I responded. Unfortunately, the binary Lucene distribution does not contain the tests.... I will try to set something up and share via a download link from my dropbox.

> Thanks,
> 
> JohnC

-----
Uwe Schindler
uschindler at apache.org 
Apache Lucene PMC Member / Committer
Bremen, Germany
http://lucene.apache.org/


> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Cuthbertson [mailto:john.cuthbertson at oracle.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 7:56 PM
> To: Uwe Schindler
> Cc: 'Thomas Schatzl'; hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net; 'David Holmes';
> 'Dawid Weiss'; hotspot-dev at openjdk.java.net
> Subject: Re: JVM hanging when using G1GC on JDK8 b78 or b79 (Linux 32 bit)
> 
> Hi Uwe,
> 
> You must have been reading my mind. See inline....
> 
> On 3/6/2013 10:50 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Thanks for the response and the analysis, very informative!
> >
> >> Uwe:
> >> Thanks for bringing this up and my apologies for not replying sooner.
> >> I will have a fix fairly soon. If I'm correct about it being caused
> >> by overflowing the marking stack you can work around the issue by
> >> increasing the MarkStackSize.you could try increasing it to 2M or 4M
> >> entries (which is the current max size).
> > Is there a setting on the command line to raise this size? This would be
> great to check out if one can also do the opposite (lower the size on 64 bit
> JVM to make the 64 bit one also hang). Unfortunately as a Java programmer I
> am not so familiar with building the JVM on Ubuntu machines (including the
> needed IcedTea), so it's hard to me to try this out - I would not even know
> how to start doing this or finally how to get something like a standard JDK
> directory so you could use it as JAVA_HOME.
> 
> Use:  -XX:MarkStackSize=4M to increase the marking stack size in a 32 bit run.
> 
> > If you need a verification that your patch is working, it would be good to get
> a i586 Linux tgz file with a binary, so I can do a quick check on the Jenkins
> server that found the bug. Otherwise we would need to wait until a new
> build appears on jdk8.java.net (including the fix + other fixes in javadoc/javac
> tool and the class library that we reported earlier).
> >
> > I could also assist in setting up a Lucene build directory (as
> > reported on the first email), to reproduce the problem with the Lucene
> > source code (which is very easy). As said before, I have no isolated
> > test case :(
> >
> 
> I just sent you email. I downloaded a zip file that contains all the jar files. I
> don't have ant on my system so ideally I'm looking for a java command line to
> tickle the crash. Can you help?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> JohnC



More information about the hotspot-gc-dev mailing list