RFR (S): 7112912:Message "Error occurred during initialization of VM" on boxes with lots of RAM
thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Mon Mar 18 00:59:09 PDT 2013
here is a new webrev for this issue. Changes are:
- merged code for os::has_allocatable_memory_limit of linux/bsd/solaris
into a single method.
- on 32 bit targets that method now tries to find the maximum
allocatable virtual memory limit by performing a binary search. In this
search, the method tries to find the largest allocatable block of
memory, and returns this size as limit.
It uses a binary search to do this. The old mechanism relied on some
manually determined number (2*G - 2*LargePageSize)
- fixed the description of MaxVirtMemFraction
- rename Arguments::allocatable_physical_memory() to
- the argument of os::has_allocatable_memory_limit() is now passed as
- removed some obsolete comment
Tests: JPRT, manual testing on linux 32/64 bit, BSD 64 bit, Windows
32/64 bit. Additional manual testing targeted at the maximum memory
limit search on linux 32 bit.
More information about the hotspot-gc-dev