G1 GC for 100GB+ heaps
Kees Jan Koster
kjkoster at java-monitor.com
Wed Jul 22 16:10:42 UTC 2015
Marcus Lagergren suggested I post this here.
Sorry if this message goes through twice, I had some trouble posting.
We are considering switching to G1 GC for a decently-sized HBase cluster. We run an HBase cluster on the bare metal with 128GB RAM in each machine. Today we use Java 7 with CMS, but weâd like to switch to Java 8 with G1.
* Are there practical limits to the heap size that we can use with G1 can have? Can we just allocate 100GB+ heaps and expect G1 to work untuned?
* Does the G1 GC have failure modes for edge cases that we need to keep in mind?
* What about region size? Should we keep some form of relation between the size of the HBase blocks and the G1 region size?
* What tunables do we have to look at and learn more about when we want to run with this size heap?
* Any gotchaâs or best practices to keep in mind when we switch over to G1?
kjkoster at kjkoster.org
Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry Pratchett
More information about the hotspot-gc-dev