RFR (L) 8151711: Move G1 number sequences out of the G1 collector policy

Mikael Gerdin mikael.gerdin at oracle.com
Wed Mar 16 14:13:10 UTC 2016


Hi Tom,

Thanks for the review!

On 2016-03-15 20:37, Tom Benson wrote:
> Hi Mikael,
> This looks OK to me, with one trivial comment.  Since you're making a
> new module out of it, perhaps you can make the indentation at lines
> 105-112 in g1Measurements.cpp more consistent.

Fixed.

>
> If feels like maybe the existing G1Predictions.cpp/.hpp should be folded
> into this new module, now that the measurement stuff is separate from
> Policy.  It's very small - most of the code is a test.  But I suppose
> that could be the subject of another change.

My thought with not moving G1Predictions into the new module was to 
allow the tunables of the predictor to be set elsewhere.

>
> As for names, G1Analytics came to mind to imply data gathering and
> prediction.

I like that name!

I also got some offline feedback from Erik indicating that 
update_recent_gc_times was actually called from full gcs as well and in 
that case didn't do the ratio calculations so I rewrote the code to

     double interval_ms =
       (end_time_sec - _analytics->last_known_gc_end_time_sec()) * 1000.0;
     _analytics->update_recent_gc_times(end_time_sec, pause_time_ms);
     _analytics->compute_pause_time_ratio(interval_ms, pause_time_ms);
   }


New full webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mgerdin/8151711/webrev.1/
Incremental webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mgerdin/8151711/webrev.0_to_1/

Thanks
/Mikael

> Tom
>
> On 3/14/2016 4:25 AM, Mikael Gerdin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Currently a large part of the G1 collector policy consists of counters
>> and number sequences for different measurements performed by the
>> collector.
>> In order to reduce the overall API surface of the G1CollectorPolicy
>> class and possibly allow for different collector policy
>> implementations the measurements and simple predictions based on the
>> number sequences should be factored out of the policy code. The policy
>> will then become more of a decision maker and not a combined data
>> store and decision maker.
>>
>> My current working name for the new class is G1Measurements but I'm
>> not overly attached to the name.
>>
>> I've made the new files "hg copies" of the g1CollectorPolicy files
>> since a lot of methods and members are simply moved as-is to the new
>> class.
>> One thing I did modify was to move decisions based on the
>> collector_state() out of the prediction methods and instead based the
>> selection on a boolean parameter.
>>
>> I suggest that in order to review the changes you open up your
>> favorite 3-way diff tool and view a 3-way side-by-side diff of
>> g1CollectorPolicy.cpp (from my webrev),
>> g1CollectorPolicy.cpp (from before my suggested changes),
>> g1Measurements.cpp (from my webrev).
>>
>> In diffuse this would be done as:
>> diffuse \
>> src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1CollectorPolicy.cpp \
>> -r qparent src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1CollectorPolicy.cpp \
>> src/share/vm/gc/g1/g1Measurements.cpp
>>
>> This allows you to (hopefully) verify the moved contents.
>> I've tried pretty hard to keep the code in the same order as in the
>> original location.
>>
>> For g1Measurements.hpp I've been a bit more lax to let the header be
>> nice and tidy.
>>
>> Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8151711
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mgerdin/8151711/webrev.0/
>> Testing: RBT gc testing, JPRT, Perf testing on aurora.
>>
>> Thanks
>> /Mikael
>


More information about the hotspot-gc-dev mailing list