RFR(M): 8190308: Supporting heap allocation on alternative memory devices and CSR review

sangheon.kim sangheon.kim at oracle.com
Fri Dec 1 18:59:47 UTC 2017


Hi Martin,

On 11/30/2017 10:08 AM, Doerr, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that "MAP_NORESERVE" is not defined on AIX (os_posix.cpp reserve_mmapped_memory).
> I guess it's not POSIX, so this looks like a bug.
Yes, I agree.
I filed https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8192919 for this.

> Would it make sense to replace it by "NOT_AIX( | MAP_NORESERVE )"?
That would be a good quick-fix for AIX.

But MAP_ANONYMOUS (used with MAP_NORESERVE in that line) is also not 
specified on POSIX as well. The difference is that most OS seem to 
define it. Or line 56(#ifndef MAP_ANONYMOUS) makes to avoid the problem.
So I think it would be better to completely move these 2 flags out of 
os_posix.cpp.

Thanks,
Sangheon


>   Or is there a better idea?
>
> Best regards,
> Martin
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: hotspot-gc-dev [mailto:hotspot-gc-dev-bounces at openjdk.java.net] On Behalf Of Kharbas, Kishor
> Sent: Montag, 13. November 2017 22:33
> To: sangheon.kim <sangheon.kim at oracle.com>; Thomas Schatzl <thomas.schatzl at oracle.com>; 'hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net' <hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net>; hotspot-runtime-dev at openjdk.java.net
> Cc: Kharbas, Kishor <kishor.kharbas at intel.com>
> Subject: RE: RFR(M): 8190308: Supporting heap allocation on alternative memory devices and CSR review
>
> Thanks Sangheon and Thomas!
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: sangheon.kim [mailto:sangheon.kim at oracle.com]
> Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 12:41 PM
> To: Thomas Schatzl <thomas.schatzl at oracle.com>; Kharbas, Kishor <kishor.kharbas at intel.com>; 'hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net' <hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net>; hotspot-runtime-dev at openjdk.java.net
> Subject: Re: RFR(M): 8190308: Supporting heap allocation on alternative memory devices and CSR review
>
> Hi Kishor,
>
> On 11/13/2017 12:40 PM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
>> Hi Kishor,
>>
>> On Mon, 2017-11-13 at 19:40 +0000, Kharbas, Kishor wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>    
>>> I have an updated webrev to remove compilation warning on Windows 32-
>>> bit.
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.15/
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.15_to_14/
>>>    
>>> Sorry missed this earlier. I request for a review on this update.
>>     looks good. The other changes from webrev.13 on also look good.
> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Sangheon
>
>
>> Thanks,
>>     Thomas
>>
>>>    
>>> Thanks
>>> Kishor
>>>    
>>> From: sangheon.kim [mailto:sangheon.kim at oracle.com]
>>> Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 4:07 PM
>>> To: Kharbas, Kishor <kishor.kharbas at intel.com>; Thomas Schatzl <thoma
>>> s.schatzl at oracle.com>; 'hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net' <hotspot-gc-
>>> dev at openjdk.java.net>; hotspot-runtime-dev at openjdk.java.net
>>> Subject: Re: RFR(M): 8190308: Supporting heap allocation on
>>> alternative memory devices and CSR review
>>>    
>>> Hi Kishor,
>>>
>>>
>>> On 11/03/2017 02:59 PM, Kharbas, Kishor wrote:
>>> Hi Sangheon,
>>>    
>>> Here is link to the updated webrev-
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.14/
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.14_to_13/
>>> Looks good to me.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sangheon
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>    
>>> Thanks
>>> Kishor
>>>    
>>> From: sangheon.kim [mailto:sangheon.kim at oracle.com]
>>> Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 2:38 PM
>>> To: Kharbas, Kishor <kishor.kharbas at intel.com>; Thomas Schatzl <thoma
>>> s.schatzl at oracle.com>; 'hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net' <hotspot-gc-
>>> dev at openjdk.java.net>; hotspot-runtime-dev at openjdk.java.net
>>> Subject: Re: RFR(M): 8190308: Supporting heap allocation on
>>> alternative memory devices and CSR review
>>>    
>>> Hi Kishor,
>>>
>>> On 11/03/2017 11:39 AM, Kharbas, Kishor wrote:
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>>    
>>> Link to updated webrevs -
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.13/
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.13_to_12/
>>> Thank you for fixing all.
>>> Looks good to me except below.
>>>
>>> Could you update the copyright format in TestAllocateHeapAt.java?
>>> 2  * Copyright (c) 2017 Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
>>> reserved.
>>> - Missing comma: * Copyright (c) 2017, Oracle and/or its affiliates.
>>> All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sangheon
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>    
>>>    
>>> @Sangheon: Please let me know if you see any corrections needed.
>>>    
>>> -Kishor
>>>    
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Thomas Schatzl [mailto:thomas.schatzl at oracle.com]
>>> Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 7:31 AM
>>> To: Kharbas, Kishor <kishor.kharbas at intel.com>; sangheon.kim
>>> <sangheon.kim at oracle.com>; 'hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net'
>>> <hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net>; hotspot-runtime-
>>> dev at openjdk.java.net
>>> Subject: Re: RFR(M): 8190308: Supporting heap allocation on
>>> alternative memory devices and CSR review
>>>    
>>> Hi,
>>>    
>>> On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 08:55 +0000, Kharbas, Kishor wrote:
>>> Hi Sangheon,
>>>    
>>> Thanks for the review and comments. Here is an updated webrev-
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.12
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~kkharbas/8190308/webrev.12_to_11
>>>    
>>> In addition to your suggested corrections, I added code to set Linux
>>> core dump filter ensuring Heap is dumped correctly when this feature
>>> is used. This is follow-up to Jini George’s comment
>>> (http://openjdk.5641.n7.nabble.com/RFR-M-8171181-Supporting-heap-
>>> allocation-on-alternative-memory-devices-td300109.html#a300450).
>>>    
>>> Some minor nits:
>>>    
>>>    - os_posix.cpp:300: please move the else next to the brace
>>>    - arguments.cpp:4624: please add a space between "if" and the
>>> bracket
>>>    
>>> I do not need to see a new webrev for these changes. Looks good.
>>>    
>>> Thanks,
>>>     Thomas
>>>    
>>>    
>>>    



More information about the hotspot-gc-dev mailing list