RFR (M/L): 8137099: G1 needs to "upgrade" GC within the safepoint if it can't allocate during that safepoint to avoid OoME
thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Tue Dec 12 15:24:43 UTC 2017
thanks for your review.
On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 14:19 +0100, Stefan Johansson wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> On 2017-12-11 12:07, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> > sorry for the late reply, there has been another issue keeping
> > me
> > busy ;)
> > On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 00:44 +0000, Hohensee, Paul wrote:
> > > In attempt_allocation_humongous in g1CollectedHeap.cpp, there’s a
> > > note that says there’s code duplication between it and
> > > attempt_allocation_slow. There may be a case of version skew
> > > between the code at line 553 and the lack of similar code at line
> > > 972. If you don’t want to retry the humongous allocation attempt
> > > at that point, then the comment at line 968 should be updated.
> > humongous allocation needs to be under the heap lock anyway, so
> > we just skip the inline allocation as it would be the same as the
> > code at the start of the loop.
> > I did add a comment, fixed some whitespace and had to move
> > declarations in the JNI c file to make it compile on some
> > platforms:
> > New webrevs:
> > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8137099/webrev.0_to_1 (diff)
> > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8137099/webrev.1 (full)
> Thanks for taking on this problem. I think the change looks really
> good, just a few comments:
> * The logging uses the thread pointer as identifier, I think it would
> be more useful to use the thread name. Also this one log line is
> only tagged with "gc" while the others use "gc,alloc":
> 527 log_trace(gc)(PTR_FORMAT " Unsuccessfully scheduled
> collection allocating " SIZE_FORMAT " words",
> 528 p2i(Thread::current()), word_size);
> * Remove "friend class VM_G1CollectForAllocation;"
> * Remove/change:
> // Callback from VM_G1CollectForAllocation operation.
> // This function does everything necessary/possible to satisfy a
> // failed allocation request (including collection, expansion,
> HeapWord* satisfy_failed_allocation(size_t word_size,
> AllocationContext_t context,
> bool* succeeded);
Fine now :)
> * Remove "// - VM_G1CollectForAllocation"
> If you like you could also simplify the class hierarchy now, since
> VM_G1OperationWithAllocRequest only has one sub-class.
- I changed the name of VM_G1IncCollectionPause to
VM_G1CollectForAllocation (the name of the operation that has been
deleted previously) because it is more fitting
- un-scrambled the parameters to the VM_G1CollectForAllocation
Testing with hs-tier1-5
More information about the hotspot-gc-dev