Proposal for back-porting JFR to OpenJDK8u
Daniel D. Daugherty
daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Fri Dec 7 19:15:15 UTC 2018
On 12/7/18 2:05 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 12/7/18 6:57 PM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
>> I would think you could list the original bug for the JFR open
>> port and all the bug fixes that you knowingly bring along in
>> the same changeset. One changeset, multiple bugs listed.
> Mmm, but there's going o be some work involved, and do you really want
> someone to have to back-port the original buggy patch, commit it with
> the exact same bugs, then backport each bug fix? Sure, it's fund for
> people with nothing better to do.
> commit it with
> the exact same bugs, then backport each bug fix?
I'm not sure how you got that out of what I said.
- pick a point in jdk/jdk for your backport to begin,
e.g., jdk-12+24 snapshot
- grab the relevant files (hopefully there won't be
much overlap with non JFR changes)
- do the backport to OpenJDK8u
- find the original changeset for the JFR port to give
you the first bug ID
- find subsequent JFR bug fix changesets to give the
next bug IDs
- list all the bug IDs in your single changeset for the
JFR backport to OpenJDK8u.
One changeset that lists multiple bug IDs. Not individual
backports of each bug fix. Will you miss something in the
list? Maybe or maybe not.
More information about the jdk8u-dev