Late for the train

mark.reinhold at mark.reinhold at
Tue Jul 17 08:57:39 PDT 2012

As some of you are already aware, I've concluded with regret that Project
Jigsaw isn't going to make Java 8 as planned.  I've set out my reasoning
in a blog entry [1], and I've asked the Java SE 8 EG to consider dropping
the module system and modularization from the release [2].

Slipping Jigsaw to Java 9 isn't an easy decision, but I think it's the
best of a set of unpleasant options.  We've made a lot of progress over
the past year, and I'm determined that we do our best to maintain our
momentum from here to Java 9.  I thank those who've contributed to this
effort so far, in ways both large and small, and I hope you'll all be
able to stay aboard for the rest of the journey.

- Mark