CFV: Project sponsorship: Mac OS X Port

Tom Marble tmarble at
Wed Dec 1 11:06:23 PST 2010

Vote: yes

I am very pleased by Apple's commitment to open source Java through
participation in OpenJDK [0].

There was clearly broad concern about the "deprecation" message
from many developers on the Mac OS X platform [1] [2] [3].

This project sponsorship continues the themes of expanding
upon Sun's original goal of "run anywhere" universality
and of enabling the innovation made possible by Free Software [4] [5].

Today we have a wide range of operating systems (e.g. GNU/Linux, Mac OS X,
Solaris, BSD, Windows, Haiku OS) and chip architectures (e.g. i586, x86_64,
sparc, arm, powerpc, mips) supported or in development.

A big "Thanks!" to Apple and welcome to the community!