Valhalla EG 20190925
david.simms at oracle.com
Wed Sep 25 17:04:29 UTC 2019
- Apologies for lack for progress since JVMLS
- User model needs some working through
- Language: what is this "box type" the mediates between
objects and values.
- Needs to "feel right" for users
- Arrays 2.0 has been mentioned a few times lately, as a potential
"pre-requisite" to Valhalla
- Brian: Need to get through specialization, this and
interfaces will give us more tools than users know about today
- Going through JVMS, questioning some of our verification
implementation details which differ or are missing or will be defer
(from chapter 4)
- Question if we need explicit boxing that the VM needs to care about
- John: favors auto-generation approach (doesn't want types to
drift away), could use nestmates (compiled at the same time, no type mix up)
- Remi: As a compiler strategy ?
- DanH: Allow user to hand write (e.g. pre-exisiting mig, i.e.
- Prefer compiler does the work
- Brian: sealing would provide trust to the VM
- John: sealed super-type that is empty (empty interface), a good
way to go ?
- Brian: possible
- Brian: which method we go with, must be driven primarily by
primitives, how to get to int.
- Something has got to give, fuzzing current type
relationships. "Digusting Hacks", "Special Behavior".
- Eclair and other food analogies continue, but we need to
figure out what we get for a given path first
- Remi: ValueObj/Ref vs Records, another concern
- Brian: possible we need to switch Record super type to an interface
More information about the valhalla-spec-experts