JDK 9 images are now modular with JDK 9 Early Access build 41
rory.odonnell at oracle.com
Tue Dec 9 08:42:51 UTC 2014
The initial changesets for JEP 220: Modular Run-Time Images  are
with JDK 9 early-access build 41 .
To summarize (please see the JEP for details):
- The "jre" subdirectory is no longer present in JDK images.
- The user-editable configuration files in the "lib" subdirectory
have been moved to the new "conf" directory.
- The endorsed-standards override mechanism has been removed.
- The extension mechanism has been removed.
- rt.jar, tools.jar, and dt.jar have been removed.
- A new URI scheme for naming stored modules, classes, and resources
has been defined.
- For tools that previously accessed rt.jar directly, a built-in NIO
file-system provider has been defined to provide access to the
and resource files within a run-time image.
More details are available at Mark Reinhold's latest blog entry 
Quality Engineering Manager
Oracle EMEA , Dublin, Ireland
More information about the adoption-discuss