RFR  Modular Source Code
mike.duigou at oracle.com
Wed Aug 13 21:29:47 UTC 2014
There's a lot to review here. This is not a complete review but hopefully contributes to our review "coverage". I am focusing on the top project in this set of comments.
- --with-output-sync seems like it should be on by default if available. Downside? This could also be split out from the jigsaw changes if there is any interest in reducing the patch size.
- what is TESTMAKE_OUTPUTDIR for? (ugh, more outputdir dirs...)
- spec.gmk.in: Can we have a separate assignment for JAVA_TOOL_FLAGS_SMALL? It is nice to be able to see every AC_SUBST somewhere solo.
- jdk-options.m4: should with_cacerts_file being empty not merit an error? what does the empty default do?
- javadoc.gmk: retire JDK_IMPSRC, JDK_GENSRC, JDK_SHARE_CLASSES and JDK_SHARE_SRC
- javadoc.gmk: JAVADOC_CMD should perhaps use (currently non-existant) JAVA_TOOL_FLAGS_BIG or at least JAVA_FLAGS_BIG?
- MakeHelpers: CleanComponent should call strip on the $1 argument to $(RM) so that it is deleting what it promises to be deleting. Or it could check to make sure $(words $1) is 1
- modules.xml "Changes to this file will require review by Committers to Project Jigsaw." Will this be true after integration into jdk9/dev repo?
- modules.list seems to be redundant with modules.xml but there don't seem to be any measures to ensure that they remain in sync. Even a comment in modules.xml would help. This kind of problem has been a source of errors in the past.
- What is TestMake.gmk and associated for?
- I am slightly unsettled by the number of makefiles and putting them all in to the same directory. Will they eventually be moved into their modules?
More to come but first I want to build it!
On Aug 12 2014, at 07:10 , Chris Hegarty <chris.hegarty at oracle.com> wrote:
> This is a review request for the Initial changes for JEP 201: Modular Source Code .
> There are a number of individuals responsible for these changes. Some, possibly not all, are explicitly listed in the To section of this mail, and they will help address any comments arising from this review request.
> For the purposes of review, the actual source file moves have been omitted from the webrev below, with the exception of any source file that has a change to it’s actual content. The new location of the source files can be determined from JEP 201  and JEP 200 "The Modular JDK" , or by browsing the staging forest .
> Due to the significant impact of these changes, a JDK 9 promotion has been tentatively reserved for their integration. All comments are welcome, although given the nature of the changes then we might have to create separate issues in JIRA to address some of them later in jdk9/dev..
>  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8051619
>  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8051618
>  http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jigsaw/stage
More information about the build-dev