RFR (L, tedious again, sorry) 8189610: Reconcile jvm.h and all jvm_md.h between java.base and hotspot
Magnus Ihse Bursie
magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Fri Oct 27 11:44:53 UTC 2017
On 2017-10-26 22:44, coleen.phillimore at oracle.com wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
> Thank you for reviewing this. I have a new version that takes out
> the hack in globalDefinitions.hpp and adds casts to
> src/hotspot/share/opto/type.cpp instead.
> Also some fixes from Martin at SAP.
> open webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8189610.02/webrev
> see below.
> On 10/26/17 5:57 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> Thank you for addressing this!
>> On 2017-10-25 18:49, coleen.phillimore at oracle.com wrote:
>>> Summary: removed hotspot version of jvm*h and jni*h files
>>> Mostly used sed to remove prims/jvm.h and move #include "jvm.h"
>>> after precompiled.h, so if you have repetitive stress wrist issues
>>> don't click on most of these files.
>>> There were more issues to resolve, however. The JDK windows
>>> jni_md.h file defined jint as long and the hotspot windows jni_x86.h
>>> as int. I had to choose the jdk version since it's the public
>>> version, so there are changes to the hotspot files for this.
>>> Generally I changed the code to use 'int' rather than 'jint' where
>>> the surrounding API didn't insist on consistently using java types.
>>> We should mostly be using C++ types within hotspot except in
>>> interfaces to native/JNI code. There are a couple of hacks in places
>>> where adding multiple jint casts was too painful.
>>> Tested with JPRT and tier2-4 (in progress).
>>> open webrev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coleenp/8189610.01/webrev
>> Looks great!
>> Just a few comments:
>> * src/java.base/unix/native/include/jni_md.h:
>> I don't think the externally_visible attribute should be there for
>> arm. I know this was the case for the corresponding hotspot file for
>> arm, but that was techically incorrect. The proper dependency here is
>> that externally_visible should be in all JNIEXPORT if and only if
>> we're building with JVM feature "link-time-opt". Traditionally, that
>> feature been enabled when building arm32 builds, and only then, so
>> there's been a (coincidentally) connection here. Nowadays, Oracle
>> does not care about the arm32 builds, and I'm not sure if anyone else
>> is building them with link-time-opt enabled.
>> It does seem wrong to me to export this behavior in the public
>> jni_md.h file, though. I think the correct way to solve this, if we
>> should continue supporting link-time-opt is to make sure this
>> attribute is set for exported hotspot functions. If it's still
>> needed, that is. A quick googling seems to indicate that
>> visibility("default") might be enough in modern gcc's.
>> A third option is to remove the support for link-time-opt entirely,
>> if it's not really used.
> I didn't know how to change this since we are still building ARM with
> the jdk10/hs repository, and ARM needed this change. I could wait
> until we bring down the jdk10/master changes that remove the ARM build
> and remove this conditional before I push. Or we could file an RFE to
> remove link-time-opt (?) and remove it then?
I'm looking into the link-time-opt issue right now. I think it boils
down to us using an incorrect flag to gcc when linking, -fwhole-program,
when -fuse-linker-plugin should have been used. This caused all exported
symbols to disappear unless they were attributed with
externally_visible, which makes sense for a program but not a shared
library. I'm currently trying to verify that -fuse-linker-plugin removes
the need for the externally_visible attribute when using link-time-opt.
If it does, I'll open a separate bug to fix that, and if I push that
first, you can safely delete the externally_visible attributes.
>> * src/java.base/unix/native/include/jvm_md.h and
>> These files define a public API, and contain non-trivial changes. I
>> suspect you should file a CSR request. (Even though I realize you're
>> only matching the header file with the reality.)
> I filed the CSR. Waiting for the next steps.
>>> bug link https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8189610
>>> I have a script to update copyright files on commit.
>>> Thanks to Magnus and ErikJ for the makefile changes.
More information about the build-dev