strange configure error on Linux Mint 18.3

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:10:19 UTC 2018


Sorry, that was wrong... here you go:

Runnable configure script is not present
Generating runnable configure script at
/shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/output-fastdebug/configure-support/generated-configure.sh
Using autoconf at /usr/bin/autoconf [autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69]
configure: Configuration created at Wed Apr 25 12:09:25 CEST 2018.
checking for basename... /usr/bin/basename
checking for bash... /bin/bash
checking for cat... /bin/cat
checking for chmod... /bin/chmod
checking for cmp... /usr/bin/cmp
checking for comm... /usr/bin/comm
checking for cp... /bin/cp
checking for cut... /usr/bin/cut
checking for date... /bin/date
checking for gdiff... no
checking for diff... /usr/bin/diff
checking for dirname... /usr/bin/dirname
checking for echo... /bin/echo
checking for expr... /usr/bin/expr
checking for file... /usr/bin/file
checking for find... /usr/bin/find
checking for head... /usr/bin/head
checking for gunzip... /bin/gunzip
checking for pigz... no
checking for gzip... /bin/gzip
checking for ln... /bin/ln
checking for ls... /bin/ls
checking for mkdir... /bin/mkdir
checking for mktemp... /bin/mktemp
checking for mv... /bin/mv
checking for nawk... /usr/bin/nawk
checking for printf... /usr/bin/printf
checking for greadlink... no
checking for readlink... /bin/readlink
checking for rm... /bin/rm
checking for rmdir... /bin/rmdir
checking for sh... /bin/sh
checking for sort... /usr/bin/sort
checking for tail... /usr/bin/tail
checking for gtar... no
checking for tar... /bin/tar
checking for tee... /usr/bin/tee
checking for touch... /usr/bin/touch
checking for tr... /usr/bin/tr
checking for uname... /bin/uname
checking for uniq... /usr/bin/uniq
checking for wc... /usr/bin/wc
checking for which... /usr/bin/which
checking for xargs... /usr/bin/xargs
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for cygpath... no
checking for df... /bin/df
checking for cpio... /bin/cpio
checking for nice... /usr/bin/nice
checking for pandoc... no
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking openjdk-build os-cpu... linux-x86_64
checking openjdk-target os-cpu... linux-x86_64
checking compilation type... native
checking for top-level directory... /shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/source
checking if custom source is suppressed (openjdk-only)... no
checking which variant of the JDK to build... normal
checking which debug level to use... release
checking which variants of the JVM to build... server
checking for sysroot...
checking for toolchain path...
checking for extra path...
checking where to store configuration... in current directory
checking what configuration name to use...
/shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/output-fastdebug
checking for apt-get... apt-get
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... /usr/bin/make
configure: Testing potential make at /usr/bin/make, found using make in PATH
configure: Using GNU make at /usr/bin/make (version: GNU Make 4.1)
checking if make --output-sync is supported... yes
checking for output-sync value... none
checking if find supports -delete... yes
checking what type of tar was found... gnu
checking that grep (/bin/grep) -Fx handles empty lines in the pattern
list correctly... yes
checking for unzip... /usr/bin/unzip
checking for zip... /usr/bin/zip
checking for ldd... /usr/bin/ldd
checking for greadelf... no
checking for readelf... /usr/bin/readelf
checking for dot... no
checking for hg... /usr/bin/hg
checking for stat... /usr/bin/stat
checking for time... /usr/bin/time
checking for flock... /usr/bin/flock
checking for dtrace... no
checking for gpatch... no
checking for patch... /usr/bin/patch
checking bash version... 4.3.48
checking if bash supports pipefail... yes
checking if bash supports errexit (-e)... yes
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for default LOG value...
checking headless only... no
checking for graphviz dot... no, cannot generate full docs
checking for pandoc... no, cannot generate full docs
checking full docs... no, missing dependencies
checking for cacerts file... default
checking if packaged modules are kept... yes (default)
checking for version string... 11-internal+0-adhoc.thomas.source
configure: Found potential Boot JDK using configure arguments
checking for Boot JDK... /shared/projects/openjdk/jdks/openjdk9
checking Boot JDK version... openjdk version "9-internal" OpenJDK
Runtime Environment (build 9-internal+0-adhoc.jenkins.openjdk) OpenJDK
64-Bit Server VM (build 9-internal+0-adhoc.jenkins.openjdk, mixed
mode)
checking for java in Boot JDK... ok
checking for javac in Boot JDK... ok
checking for javadoc in Boot JDK... ok
checking for jar in Boot JDK... ok
checking for jarsigner in Boot JDK... ok
checking if Boot JDK is 32 or 64 bits... 64
checking for local Boot JDK Class Data Sharing (CDS)... yes, created
checking for Build JDK... yes, will use output dir
configure: Using default toolchain gcc (GNU Compiler Collection)
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc
checking resolved symbolic links for CC... /usr/bin/gcc-5
configure: Using gcc C compiler version 5.4.0 [gcc (Ubuntu
5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5) 5.4.0 20160609]
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/output-fastdebug':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
configure exiting with result code 77

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Thomas Stüfe <thomas.stuefe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> Ok I reverted the VM to the point before installing the dependencies.
>
> Here you go:Runnable configure script is not present
> Generating runnable configure script at
> /shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/output-fastdebug/configure-support/generated-configure.sh
> Using autoconf at /usr/bin/autoconf [autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69]
> configure: Configuration created at Wed Apr 25 12:06:11 CEST 2018.
> checking for basename... /usr/bin/basename
> checking for bash... /bin/bash
> checking for cat... /bin/cat
> checking for chmod... /bin/chmod
> checking for cmp... /usr/bin/cmp
> checking for comm... /usr/bin/comm
> checking for cp... /bin/cp
> checking for cut... /usr/bin/cut
> checking for date... /bin/date
> checking for gdiff... no
> checking for diff... /usr/bin/diff
> checking for dirname... /usr/bin/dirname
> checking for echo... /bin/echo
> checking for expr... /usr/bin/expr
> checking for file... /usr/bin/file
> checking for find... /usr/bin/find
> checking for head... /usr/bin/head
> checking for gunzip... /bin/gunzip
> checking for pigz... no
> checking for gzip... /bin/gzip
> checking for ln... /bin/ln
> checking for ls... /bin/ls
> checking for mkdir... /bin/mkdir
> checking for mktemp... /bin/mktemp
> checking for mv... /bin/mv
> checking for nawk... /usr/bin/nawk
> checking for printf... /usr/bin/printf
> checking for greadlink... no
> checking for readlink... /bin/readlink
> checking for rm... /bin/rm
> checking for rmdir... /bin/rmdir
> checking for sh... /bin/sh
> checking for sort... /usr/bin/sort
> checking for tail... /usr/bin/tail
> checking for gtar... no
> checking for tar... /bin/tar
> checking for tee... /usr/bin/tee
> checking for touch... /usr/bin/touch
> checking for tr... /usr/bin/tr
> checking for uname... /bin/uname
> checking for uniq... /usr/bin/uniq
> checking for wc... /usr/bin/wc
> checking for which... /usr/bin/which
> checking for xargs... /usr/bin/xargs
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
> checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
> checking for cygpath... no
> checking for df... /bin/df
> checking for cpio... /bin/cpio
> checking for nice... /usr/bin/nice
> checking for pandoc... no
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking openjdk-build os-cpu... linux-x86_64
> checking openjdk-target os-cpu... linux-x86_64
> checking compilation type... native
> checking for top-level directory... /shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/source
> checking if custom source is suppressed (openjdk-only)... no
> checking which variant of the JDK to build... normal
> checking which debug level to use... release
> checking which variants of the JVM to build... server
> checking for sysroot...
> checking for toolchain path...
> checking for extra path...
> checking where to store configuration... in current directory
> configure: Current directory is
> /shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/output-fastdebug.
> configure: Since this is not the source root, configure will output
> the configuration here
> configure: (as opposed to creating a configuration in
> <src_root>/build/<conf-name>).
> configure: However, this directory is not empty. This is not allowed,
> since it could
> configure: seriously mess up just about everything.
> configure: Try 'cd /shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/source' and
> restart configure
> configure: (or create a new empty directory and cd to it).
> configure: error: Will not continue creating configuration in
> /shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/output-fastdebug
> configure exiting with result code 1
>
> ..Thomas
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie
> <magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com> wrote:
>> On 2018-04-24 14:50, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> What does the output from configure look like? The config.log file does not
>> really help tell us how far into our configure script we've come.
>>
>> As John pointed out, the problem here was (likely) that you were missing the
>> needed C libraries. However, we should have a test for this in configure,
>> and I'm surprised it didn't alert you to the problem.
>>
>> /Magnus
>>
>>
>>>
>>> I got a configure error on a fresh, virgin Linux Mint 18.3 install. I
>>> have not yet installed anything on that box (the only thing I
>>> installed is autoconf).
>>>
>>> This fails at a point where normally I would get suggestions about
>>> which tools to install with apt-get (which, btw, is really nice).
>>> config.log contains this:
>>>
>>> -------
>>>
>>> Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu
>>> 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5'
>>> --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs
>>> --enable-languages=c,ada,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++
>>> --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-5 --enable-shared
>>> --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib
>>> --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib
>>> --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu
>>> --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes
>>> --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-gnu-unique-object
>>> --disable-vtable-verify --enable-libmpx --enable-plugin
>>> --with-system-zlib --disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk
>>> --enable-gtk-cairo
>>> --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-5-amd64/jre
>>> --enable-java-home
>>> --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-5-amd64
>>> --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-5-amd64
>>> --with-arch-directory=amd64
>>> --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --enable-objc-gc
>>> --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64
>>> --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --enable-multilib
>>> --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu
>>> --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
>>> Thread model: posix
>>> gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.5)
>>> configure:35364: $? = 0
>>> configure:35353: /usr/bin/gcc -V >&5
>>> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
>>> gcc: fatal error: no input files
>>> compilation terminated.
>>> configure:35364: $? = 1
>>> configure:35353: /usr/bin/gcc -qversion >&5
>>> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'
>>> gcc: fatal error: no input files
>>> compilation terminated.
>>> configure:35364: $? = 1
>>> configure:35384: checking whether the C compiler works
>>> configure:35406: /usr/bin/gcc -m64    -m64   conftest.c  >&5
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
>>> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> configure:35410: $? = 1
>>> configure:35448: result: no
>>> configure: failed program was:
>>> | /* confdefs.h */
>>> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "OpenJDK"
>>> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "openjdk"
>>> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "jdk9"
>>> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "OpenJDK jdk9"
>>> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "build-dev at openjdk.java.net"
>>> | #define PACKAGE_URL "http://openjdk.java.net"
>>> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
>>> |
>>> | int
>>> | main ()
>>> | {
>>> |
>>> |   ;
>>> |   return 0;
>>> | }
>>> configure:35453: error: in
>>> `/shared/projects/openjdk/jdk-jdk/output-fastdebug':
>>> configure:35455: error: C compiler cannot create executables
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>>
>>> Weirdly enough the compiler is ran once with -qversion, which is an
>>> AIX-only option, and once with -V, which is not valid either.
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen this already? (Note that I used Mint18.3 as
>>> development machine before and it just worked).
>>>
>>> Thanks, Thomas
>>
>>


More information about the build-dev mailing list