RFR 8209064: Make intellij support more robust after changes for 2018.2
maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Tue Aug 7 11:21:55 UTC 2018
last week I submitted an 'emergency' patch to fix intellij project
support after 2018.2 changes. The goal of these changes was to move the
build.xml ant file out of the .idea folder, as the IDE no longer
supported DOM indexing in such folders (as a result of
https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-189915). As a workaround, I
tweaked the scripts to copy build.xml in the build folder.
Thinking more about this issue, there's a more robust fix possible,
which doesn't involve moving files to the build folder (which could be
potentially unreliable, depending on how people build the JDK). In fact,
the best solution is to leave build.xml where it is, and fix the
remaining configuration files to point at it. This allows to revert all
changes in the scripts that set up the project configuration
(bin/idea.sh for JDK, and make/langtools/build.xml for langtools).
For the langtools project a bit more changes were necessary, given that
in langtools we did not have a 'template' folder - and all intellij
files were dumped onto the same path. So I had to move the configuration
langtools files (all but build.xml) under a new template folder (located
under make/langtools/intellij/make) and place build.xml outside it. Then
tweak the build.xml script to work off this new template folder. These
are all small conceptual changes, but the impact on the webrev is quite
biggie (because of file renaming etc.).
I also took the chance to fix some issues with the JDK project ANT
configuration (see changes in make/idea/template/workspace.xml), as the
last changes did not update the location of the ant file used here - as
a result no ant target entries were showing up under the Build menu.
More information about the compiler-dev