JNI UTF-8 encoding bug with some characters

Ariel Weisberg ariel at weisberg.ws
Tue Jun 5 16:06:10 UTC 2012


Here is a link to an updated test case that simplifies the string being
tested to just the problem character, and fixes a bug in determining the
length of the array returned by GetStringUTFChars.



On Tue, Jun 5, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Ariel Weisberg wrote:
> Hi all,
> Not sure what list this should go to.
> I found an issue with JNI's GetStringUTFChars which is supposed to
> return a Java string in UTF-8 encoding. There is an attached test case.
> I tested on Ubuntu 12.04 (Linux aweisberg-desktop 2.6.32-41-generic
> #89-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 27 22:18:56 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux) and CentOS
> 5 (Linux volt3b 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 17 17:08:00 EDT 2012
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) with JDK 6 update 32 and JDK 7 update 4.
> For the following string "â��x一xxéyyԱ" I find that the first character is
> encoded correctly, but the second character
> (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f032/index.htm) comes out
> with an invalid code point.
> The result of String.getBytes("UTF-8") is
> c3a2f09f80b278e4b8807878c3a97979d4b1 and this matches the output I get
> from defining the string as a constant in C++.
> The result of GetStringUTFChars is c3a2eda0bcedb0b278e4b8.
> See this test case
> (https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.voltdb.aweisberg/utf8_encoding_bug.tgz)
> for a reproducer and how I displayed the values.
> Thanks,
> Ariel

More information about the core-libs-dev mailing list