JNI UTF-8 encoding bug with some characters
ariel at weisberg.ws
Tue Jun 5 18:12:29 UTC 2012
Thanks I will do the conversion in Java then.
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Xueming Shen wrote:
> Hi Ariel,
> The Java UTF-8 charset (sun.nio.cs.UTF_8) is updated back to jdk7 to
> follow Unicode
> Corrigendum  (CR#4486841) and is furthered updated in JDK8 (#7096080)
> fully conform with the Standard. As the result, the Java UTF-8 charset
> only encodes and decodes supplementary character into 4 bytes utf-8 byte
> sequence. However, we did not do the same thing for vm's jni-utf-8
> implementation, which still encode/decodes the supplementary into 6 bytes
> (pair of surrogates, 3 bytes each). This was the decision we made back
> with the assumption that the jni-utf-8 is mainly for "internal"
> exchange (you are not supposed to use the result to exchange the
> with an "external" system), as long as it provides a round-trip
> should be not an issue. The character you are using here is a
> character, this is why you are seeing the difference here.
>  http://www.unicode.org/versions/corrigendum1.html
> On 06/05/2012 09:06 AM, Ariel Weisberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Here is a link to an updated test case that simplifies the string being
> > tested to just the problem character, and fixes a bug in determining the
> > length of the array returned by GetStringUTFChars.
> > https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.voltdb.aweisberg/utf8_encoding_bug2.tgz
> > Thanks,
> > Ariel
> > On Tue, Jun 5, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Ariel Weisberg wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> Not sure what list this should go to.
> >> I found an issue with JNI's GetStringUTFChars which is supposed to
> >> return a Java string in UTF-8 encoding. There is an attached test case.
> >> I tested on Ubuntu 12.04 (Linux aweisberg-desktop 2.6.32-41-generic
> >> #89-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 27 22:18:56 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux) and CentOS
> >> 5 (Linux volt3b 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 17 17:08:00 EDT 2012
> >> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) with JDK 6 update 32 and JDK 7 update 4.
> >> For the following string "âx一xxéyyԱ" I find that the first character is
> >> encoded correctly, but the second character
> >> (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f032/index.htm) comes out
> >> with an invalid code point.
> >> The result of String.getBytes("UTF-8") is
> >> c3a2f09f80b278e4b8807878c3a97979d4b1 and this matches the output I get
> >> from defining the string as a constant in C++.
> >> The result of GetStringUTFChars is c3a2eda0bcedb0b278e4b8.
> >> See this test case
> >> (https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.voltdb.aweisberg/utf8_encoding_bug.tgz)
> >> for a reproducer and how I displayed the values.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ariel
More information about the core-libs-dev