7197491: update copyright year to match last edit in jdk8 jdk repository

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Fri Nov 2 16:47:18 UTC 2012

 > but ultimately there are files which never get touched which will 
need processing to update the year.

The policy has varied over the years, but presently the policy is not to
update the year in files that have not been updated code-wise.


On 11/2/2012 9:37 AM, Darryl Mocek wrote:
> Alan,
>     I was responsible for updating the copyrights for JavaME.  I used 
> a Perl script to update the copyright year in the source files.  I can 
> point you to the relevant information if you like. There were 
> challenges as there are various copyrights in the source files 
> (Oracle, Oracle + 3rd-party, 3rd party only, and no copyright), all 
> with different formats, and even within the Oracle copyrights, people 
> used subtle differences which caused difficulties.  I ended updating 
> all copyrights to a few formats and adding a post-commit script which 
> scrubbed the copyright and notified the committer if the copyright 
> wasn't in the correct format and didn't have an ending year (or sole 
> year) which is the current year.
> There are plenty of options here:
> - Do nothing (policy)
> - Pre-commit script which changes the year automatically
> - Pre-commit script which rejects commit with wrong year
> - Post-commit script which flags a bad copyright, but accepts commit
> - Others
> Updating the copyright year as you commit is a good habit to get into, 
> but ultimately there are files which never get touched which will need 
> processing to update the year.  I think doing this at the 
> end/beginning of the year is good, we just need to make sure we get 
> the copyright correct when processing.
> Darryl
> On 11/02/2012 05:46 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
>> Now for some noise.
>> The copyright date in the source files needs updating. The man behind 
>> the curtain is Steve Sides from the Quality and Release Engineering 
>> team in Oracle. Jon pushed, on Steve's behalf, the update to the 
>> langtools files recently [1], and Mikael updated hotspot [2]. The 
>> elephant is the jdk repository as there are 3000+ files that need 
>> their headers updated.
>> To keep the disruption to a minimum I propose that we do the jdk 
>> repository in two steps: non-client area now to jdk8/tl, and then the 
>> client-area later in jdk8/awt once the changes get there. I use the 
>> term "client-area" loosely to mean the source files for awt, swing, 
>> font, java2d, etc. (and I appreciate that there is also a jdk8/2d 
>> forest in use). To that end here is the proposed patch for today:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alanb/7197491/copyright.patch
>> This patch updates the headers on 2370 files. I don't propose to 
>> publish a webrev as it's just too big.
>> This patch was created with:
>> cd jdk
>> sh ../make/scripts/update_copyright_year.sh 2011
>> sh ../make/scripts/update_copyright_year.sh 2012
>> hg revert --no-backup `cat clientdirs.list`
>> hg diff -g > copyright.patch
>> where clientdirs.list is most of the directories corresponding to the 
>> client area.
>> Note that I ran the update_copyright_year.sh script twice, once for 
>> 2011 and then a second time for 2012. The reason for this is that 
>> there are several hundred files in the jdk repository that were last 
>> updated in 2011 but have an older date on the header.
>> Reviewer welcome but I should say that I don't have cycles to spend 
>> on this. Also the patch has an a very short shelf life.
>> Finally, I think that there needs to be wider discussion as to how to 
>> keep the headers from falling behind too much. Some people do update 
>> the headers when editing files, some people (including myself) do 
>> not. It seems to me that it should be done regularly anyway, perhaps 
>> every few months or at integration time every so often.
>> -Alan.
>> [1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/tl/langtools/rev/9d47f4850714
>> [2] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/hotspot/rev/b9a9ed0f8eeb

More information about the core-libs-dev mailing list