[PATCH] 4511638: Double.toString(double) sometimes produces incorrect results
raffaello.giulietti at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:08:48 UTC 2019
no new code this time, only a warm invitation to review the rather
substantial patch submitted on 2019-04-18  and the CSR .
I spent an insane amount of (unpaid) free time offering my contribution
to solve a bug known since about 15 years. Thus, I think it is
understandable that I'd like to see my efforts come to a successful
conclusion, ideally for OpenJDK 13.
Some enjoyable properties of the novel algorithm:
* No objects are instantiated, except, of course, the resulting String.
* Loop-free core algorithm.
* Only int and long arithmetic.
* No divisions at all.
* 16x speedup (jmh).
* Randomized, yet reproducible deep diving tests (jtreg).
* Clear, unambiguous spec.
* All floats have been tested to fully meet the spec.
* Fully documented in  or in comments.
More information about the core-libs-dev