RFR: 8254129: IR Test Framework to support regex-based matching on the IR in JTreg compiler tests
chagedorn at openjdk.java.net
Thu Apr 15 10:15:51 UTC 2021
This RFE provides an IR test framework to perform regex-based checks on the C2 IR shape of test methods emitted by the VM flags `-XX:+PrintIdeal` and `-XX:+PrintOptoAssembly`. The framework can also be used for other non-IR matching (and non-compiler) tests by providing easy to use annotations for commonly used testing patterns and compiler control flags.
The framework is based on the ideas of the currently present IR test framework in [Valhalla](https://github.com/openjdk/valhalla/blob/e9c78ce4fcfd01361c35883e0d68f9ae5a80d079/test/hotspot/jtreg/compiler/valhalla/inlinetypes/InlineTypeTest.java) (mainly implemented by @TobiHartmann) which is being used with great success. This new framework aims to replace the old one in Valhalla at some point.
A detailed description about how this new IR test framework works and how it is used is provided in the [README.md](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/blob/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/README.md) file and in the [Javadocs](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/blob/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/doc/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/package-summary.html) written for the framework classes.
To finish a first version of this framework for JDK 17, I decided to leave some improvement possibilities and ideas to be followed up on in additional RFEs. Some ideas are mentioned in "Future Work" in [README.md](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/blob/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/README.md) and were also created as subtasks of this RFE.
Testing (also described in "Internal Framework Tests in [README.md](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/blob/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/README.md)):
There are various tests to verify the correctness of the test framework which can be found as JTreg tests in the [tests](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/tree/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/tests) folder. Additional testing was performed by converting all compiler Inline Types test of project Valhalla (done by @katyapav in [JDK-8263024](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8263024)) that used the old framework to the new framework. This provided additional testing for the framework itself. We ran the converted tests with all the flag settings used in hs-tier1-9 and hs-precheckin-comp. For sanity checking, this was also done with a sample IR test in mainline.
Some stats about the framework code added to [ir_framework](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/tree/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework):
- without the [Javadocs files](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/tree/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/doc) : 60 changed files, 13212 insertions, 0 deletions.
- without the [tests](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/tree/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/tests) and [examples](https://github.com/chhagedorn/jdk/tree/aa005f384a4567c6c0b5f08f7c5df57f705dc540/test/lib/jdk/test/lib/hotspot/ir_framework/examples) folder: 40 files changed, 6781 insertions
- comments: 2399 insertions (calculated with `git diff --cached !(tests|examples) | grep -c -E "(^[+-]\s*(/)?*)|(^[+-]\s*//)"`)
- which leaves 4382 lines of code inserted
Big thanks to:
- @TobiHartmann for all his help by discussing the new framework and for providing insights from his IR test framework in Valhalla.
- @katyapav for converting the Valhalla tests to use the new framework which found some harder to catch bugs in the framework and also some actual C2 bugs.
- @iignatev for helping to simplify the framework usage with JTreg and with the framework internal VM calling structure.
- and others who provided valuable feedback.
- Fix comment
- Remove accidentally added print statement
- Fix whitespaces + minor fix
- Fix whitespaces
- Add Javadoc files
- 8254129: IR Test Framework to support regex-based matching on the IR in JTreg compiler tests
Stats: 24497 lines in 144 files changed: 24497 ins; 0 del; 0 mod
Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/3508/head:pull/3508
More information about the hotspot-compiler-dev