6950794: Make the GC log file name parameterized

Yasumasa Suenaga suenaga.yasumasa at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Jul 26 00:47:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've made a patch for this RFE.
This patch allows for 4 parameters as following:

    %p - Java process' PID
    %t - date stamp when log file is created (format: YYYY-MM-DD)
    %n - if log rotation logic is enabled, then log segment id, otherwise "0"
    %% - escaped '%' character in file name

  (These parameters are defined in 6950794)

Other features of this patch:

   * The oldest log is removed. If you set -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 and
     gc.log.0 - 4 is exists, gc.log.0 is removed and gc.log.5 is created.
   * Log segment id (%n) is unsigned int . If id is UINT_MAX (0xFFFFFFFF),
     next id is zero.
   * I expanded Arguments::copy_expand_pid() . This modification affects
     -XX:OnError, -XX:ErrorFile, -XX:PerfDataSaveFile . These option also
     can use parameters that this patch provides.
     If this is not good, I can separate this feature from Arguments::copy_expand_pid() .

This patch works fine in my environment.
I would like to contribute this patch.

Please cooperate.

Thanks,

Yasumasa