RFR: 8013590: NPG: Add a memory pool MXBean for Metaspace
erik.helin at oracle.com
Tue May 28 16:22:27 UTC 2013
this change adds two memory pools for metaspace, one for Metaspace and
one for compressed klass space. The memory pool for compressed klass
space will only have valus that differ from 0 or -1 (undefined) if
compressed klass pointers are used.
This change also adds a manager for the pools: Metaspace Manager.
I have also added a test that checks that the metaspace manager is
present and that the two pools are present. The test also verifies that
the compressed klass space pool act correct according to the
The last time I added metaspace memory pools, it triggered some
- Two asserts in jmm_GetMemoryUsage that asserted that a memory pool was
either of heap type or had an undefined init/max size.
- The jdk/test/java/lang/management/MemoryMXBean/MemoryTest.java failed
- The service lock was taken out of order with the metaspace locks
These bugs have all been fixed:
- The asserts have been removed since they are no longer true
- The test has been updated but is not part of this change since it is a
- This change does not make use of functions requiring the metaspace
lock. I had to remove some verification code in free_chunks_total to
- One new jtreg test
- All the tests that failed in nighly testing last time now pass
More information about the hotspot-gc-dev