RFC: Epsilon GC JEP

Aleksey Shipilev shade at redhat.com
Tue Jul 18 11:23:46 UTC 2017


Hi Erik,

Thanks for looking into this!

On 07/18/2017 12:09 PM, Erik Helin wrote:
> first of all, thanks for trying this out and starting a discussion. Regarding
> the JEP, I have a few questions/comments:
> - the JEP specifies "last-drop performance improvements" as a
>   motivation. However, I think you also know that taking a pause and
>   compacting a heap that is mostly filled with garbage most likely
>   results in higher throughput*. So are you thinking in terms of pauses
>   here when you say performance?

This cuts both ways: while it is true that moving GC improves locality [1], it
is also true that the runtime overhead from barriers can be quite high [2, 3,
4]. So, "performance" in that section is tied to both throughput (no barriers)
and pauses (no pauses).

[1] https://shipilev.net/jvm-anatomy-park/11-moving-gc-locality
[2] https://shipilev.net/jvm-anatomy-park/13-intergenerational-barriers
[3] Also, remember the reason for UseCondCardMark
[4] Also, remember the whole thing about G1 barriers

> - why do you think Epsilon GC is a good baseline? IMHO, no barriers is
>   not the perfect baseline, since it is just a theoretical exercise.
>   Just cranking up the heap and using Serial is more realistic
>   baseline, but even using that as a baseline is questionable.

It sometimes is. Non-generational GC is a good baseline for some workloads. Even
Serial does not cut it, because even if you crank up old and trim down young,
there is no way to disable reference write barrier store that maintains card tables.

> - the JEP specifies this as an experimental feature, meaning that you
>   intend non-JVM developers to be able to run this. Have you considered
>   the cost of supporting this option? You say "New jtreg tests under
>   hotspot/gc/epsilon would be enough to assert correctness". For which
>   platforms? How often should these tests be run, every night? 

I think for all platforms, somewhere in hs-tier3? IMO, current test set in
hotspot/gc/epsilon is fairly complete, and it takes less than a minute on my
4-core i7.

> Whenever we want to do large changes, like updating logging, tracing, etc, 
> will we have to take Epsilon GC into account? Will there be serviceability
> support for Epsilon GC, like jstat, MXBeans, perf counters etc?
I tried to address the maintenance costs in the JEP? It is unlikely to cause
trouble, since it mostly calls into the shared code. And GC interface work would
hopefully make BarrierSet into more shareable chunk of interface, which makes
the whole thing even more self-contained. There is some new code in MemoryPools
that handles the minimal diagnostics. MXBeans still work, at least ThreadMXBean
that reports allocation pressure, although I'd need to add a test to assert that.

To me, if the no-op GC requires much maintenance whenever something in JVM is
changing, that points to the insanity of GC interface. No-op GC is a good canary
in the coalmine for this. This is why one of the motivations is seeing what
exactly a minimal GC should support to be functional.


> - You quote "The experience, however, tells that many players in the
>   Java ecosystem already did this exercise with expunging GC from their
>   custom-built JVMs". So it seems that those users that want something
>   like Epsilon GC are fine with building OpenJDK themselves? Having
>   -XX:+UseEpsilonGC as a developer flag is much different compared to
>   exposing it (and supporting, even if in experimental mode) to users.

There is a fair share of survivorship bias: we know about people who succeeded,
do we know how many failed or given up? I think developers who do day-to-day
Hotspot development grossly underestimate the effort required to even build a
custom JVM. Most power users I know have did this exercise with great pains. I
used to sing the same song to them: just build OpenJDK yourself, but then pesky
details pour in. Like: oh, Windows, oh, Cygwin, oh MacOS, oh XCode, oh FreeType,
oh new compilers that build OpenJDK with warnings and build does treat warnings
as errors, oh actual API mismatches against msvcrt, glibc, whatever, etc. etc.
etc. As much as OpenJDK build improved over the years, I am not audacious enough
to claim it would ever be a completely smooth experience :) Now I am just
willingly hand them binary builds.

So I think having the experimental feature available in the actual product build
extends the feature exposure. For example, suppose you are the academic writing
a paper on GC, would you accept custom-build JVM into your results, or would you
rather pick up the "gold" binary build from a standard distribution and run with it?


> I guess most of my question can be summarized as: this seems like it perhaps
> could be useful tool for JVM GC developers, why do you want to expose the flag
> to non-JVM developers (given all the work/support/maintenance that comes with
> that)?

My initial thought was that the discussion about the costs should involve
discussing the actual code. This is why there is a complete implementation in
the Sandbox, and also the webrev posted.

In the months following my initial (crazy) experiments, I had multiple people
coming to me and asking when Epsilon is going to be in JDK, because they want to
use it. And those were the ultra-power-users who actually know what they are
doing with their garbage-free applications.

So the short answer about why Epsilon is good to have in product is because the
cost seems low, the benefits are present, and so cost/benefit is still low.


> It is _great_ that you are experimenting and trying out new ideas in the VM,
> please continue doing that! Please don't interpret my questions/comments as
> to grumpy, this is just my experience from maintaining 5-6 different GC
> algorithms for more than five years that is speaking. There is _always_ a
> maintenance cost :)

Yeah, I know how that feels. Look at the actual Epsilon changes, do they look
scary to you, given your experience maintaining the related code?

Thanks,
-Aleksey

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-gc-dev/attachments/20170718/17177d73/signature.asc>


More information about the hotspot-gc-dev mailing list