<i18n dev> Review request: Splitting locale resources (FormatData) for java.time classes
masayoshi.okutsu at oracle.com
Wed Apr 3 09:09:45 PDT 2013
I've made changes for splitting locale resources into FormatData
required by the legacy i18n classes and JavaTimeSupplementary required
by the java.time classes. The reason of this split is to make locale
resources maintenance easier. Changes are mostly in the locale data
Here are concrete changes in a random order:
- Split FormatData files for JRE into the FormatData files and their
corresponding JavaTimeSupplementary files. The supplementary data is
added to its FormatData on demand at runtime. This is to avoid loading
java.time specific resources in case they are not used. All
JavaTimeSupplementary files were generated by a tool. But the tool isn't
included in webrev. It's still a mess.
- Changed prefix "cldr." to "java.time." for java.time specific resources.
- "java.time.*DatePattrens" resources are now converted from legacy JRE
resources rather than from CLDR. This change required the
- Added missing resources (due to a tool bug) to FormatData files.
- No format changes to FormatData files generated from CLDR (XML).
- Added ParallelListResourceBundle which supports additional contents
(key-value pairs). FormatData* classes are now
ParallelListResourceBundle subclasses. sun/util/resources/LocaleData
takes care of adding supplementary data at runtime.
- Renamed CalendarDataUtility.retrieveCldr* to .retrieveJavaTime*.
- Cleaned up OpenListResourceBundle.
- CLDR Converter Tool now takes "approved" and "contributed" data items
because there are too many missing elements in arrays. However,
FormatData and JavaTimeSupplementary files for JRE have only approved items.
- Changed some copyright text and removed "DO NOT EDIT" comment lines. I
don't believe those files can be re-generated using the older version of
CLDR Converter Tool.
There are some remaining work items.
- Need more verification of the actual locale resources.
- Clean up the JavaTimeSupplementary generator tool.
- Add a test for ParallelListResourceBundl, which is almost ready for
review, but it requires a bug ID for the @bug tag of jtreg.
- Clean up test/sun/text/resources/LocaleData with the additional resources.
More information about the i18n-dev