<i18n dev> [8] Request for review: 8029239: jdk8 l10n resource file translation update - localenames

Michael Fang michael.fang at oracle.com
Wed Dec 4 15:02:24 PST 2013

Thanks Masayoshi for the feedback.

I looked at the existing LocaleNames_xx.properties files and it contains 
lower case \uxxxx notation for most of sections of the files, but newer 
sections as ISO 639.2 language code and ISO 15924 script code were in 
upper case since they were added by the current translation team.

I converted the files to all lower case \uxxxx notation and the webrev 
didn't help (worse with even more deltas):

To make it easier to review, I have created updated version of webrev 
that ignores cases with "diff -i" option.
But I kept the upper case \uxxxx notation because that's what I will be 
receiving from translation team going forward. In the future, the diff 
should be more manageable.

The resulting webrev:

I need to check with translation team about the Japanese translation 
issue for "afa".

I have added bug# to test/sun/text/resources/LocaleDataTest.java



On 13年12月04日 01:17 上午, Masayoshi Okutsu wrote:
> I still don't like the unnecessary case changes for the \uxxxx 
> notation, which makes code review very difficult (even UTF-8 ones).
> I noticed the following change uses '=' (the second one) as a word 
> delimiter. This looks strange to me.
> src/share/classes/sun/util/resources/ja/LocaleNames_ja.properties:
> -afa=\u30A2\u30D5\u30AC\u30CB\u30FC (1927-2002)
> +afa=\u30A2\u30D5\u30ED=\u30A2\u30B8\u30A2\u8A9E\u65CF
> Should the bug# be added to 
> test/sun/text/resources/LocaleDataTest.java when LocaleData has been 
> modified?
> Thanks,
> Masayoshi
> On 12/4/2013 1:02 PM, Michael Fang wrote:
>> I have updated the webrev 
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mfang/8029239/webrev.jdk.01/
>> 2 failed regression tests have been addressed:
>> ----------System.out:(7/192)*----------
>> Mismatch in LocaleNames/pt/wa:
>>   file = "val\\\\u00e3o"
>>    jvm = "val\\u00e3o"
>> Mismatch in LocaleNames/pt/FM:
>>   file = "Micron\\\\u00e9sia"
>>    jvm = "Micron\\u00e9sia"
>> Test failed.  2 errors.
>> thanks,
>> -michael
>> On 13年12月03日 05:10 下午, Michael Fang wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Please help to review the changes for the following CR:
>>> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8029239
>>> The webrev is available here:
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mfang/8029239/
>>> The changes included the following:
>>> Portuguese files were updated with resources generated from CLDR 
>>> 2.1. LocaleNames_pt_BR.properties have been removed as a result. 
>>> Regression tests were performed and failed tests were updated to be 
>>> compatible with the changes to CLDR 2.1.
>>> There are also translation capitalization changes. I did some 
>>> research about capitalization rules and found that for Spanish, 
>>> French, Italian, Portuguese, and Swedish, language names are not 
>>> capitalized, but country names are and these are consistent with 
>>> CLDR as well.
>>> References about capitalization
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Capitalization_of_Wiktionary_pages#Languages_without_capitalization: 
>>> es, fr, it, sv, pt, etc
>>> Spanish: 
>>> http://www.howto.gov/web-content/multilingual/spanish-guide/capitalization
>>> French: http://french.about.com/library/writing/bl-capitalization.htm
>>> Italian: http://www.translationdirectory.com/article714.htm
>>> Swedish: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Swedish/Nationalities
>>> There are also translation changes performed by translators. I 
>>> reviewed each change against CLDR. I only accepted the changes 
>>> that's consistent with CLDR since I don't know the languages and 
>>> could only use CLDR as a reference.
>>> I did not add new regression tests for the translation changes since 
>>> there are no formatting changes, just translation changes. We have a 
>>> keyword noreg-l10n that covers the exception for requiring 
>>> regression tests for translation changes.
>>> thanks,
>>> -michael

More information about the i18n-dev mailing list