<i18n dev>  Request for review: 8029239: jdk8 l10n resource file translation update - localenames
masayoshi.okutsu at oracle.com
Wed Dec 4 23:23:33 PST 2013
Thanks for making the \uxxxx changes. It's much easier to review.
I checked LocaleNames_ja.properties with JIS X 0412 (Japanese version of
ISO 639) and JIS X 0304 (Japanese version of ISO 3166). Many changes
corrected wrong names, but there are still questionable ones, and some
are inconsistent with JIS X 0412/0304, such as 中華人民共和国 to 中国
for CN because 中国 is too ambiguous . My preference is to follow the
JIS standards (where applicable).
Also I noticed some new script names are missing, such as Jurc for
Jurchen. Should this problem be out of the scope with the 8029239 fix?
On 12/5/2013 8:02 AM, Michael Fang wrote:
> Thanks Masayoshi for the feedback.
> I looked at the existing LocaleNames_xx.properties files and it
> contains lower case \uxxxx notation for most of sections of the files,
> but newer sections as ISO 639.2 language code and ISO 15924 script
> code were in upper case since they were added by the current
> translation team.
> I converted the files to all lower case \uxxxx notation and the webrev
> didn't help (worse with even more deltas):
> To make it easier to review, I have created updated version of webrev
> that ignores cases with "diff -i" option.
> But I kept the upper case \uxxxx notation because that's what I will
> be receiving from translation team going forward. In the future, the
> diff should be more manageable.
> The resulting webrev:
> I need to check with translation team about the Japanese translation
> issue for "afa".
> I have added bug# to test/sun/text/resources/LocaleDataTest.java
> On 13年12月04日 01:17 上午, Masayoshi Okutsu wrote:
>> I still don't like the unnecessary case changes for the \uxxxx
>> notation, which makes code review very difficult (even UTF-8 ones).
>> I noticed the following change uses '=' (the second one) as a word
>> delimiter. This looks strange to me.
>> -afa=\u30A2\u30D5\u30AC\u30CB\u30FC (1927-2002)
>> Should the bug# be added to
>> test/sun/text/resources/LocaleDataTest.java when LocaleData has been
>> On 12/4/2013 1:02 PM, Michael Fang wrote:
>>> I have updated the webrev
>>> 2 failed regression tests have been addressed:
>>> Mismatch in LocaleNames/pt/wa:
>>> file = "val\\\\u00e3o"
>>> jvm = "val\\u00e3o"
>>> Mismatch in LocaleNames/pt/FM:
>>> file = "Micron\\\\u00e9sia"
>>> jvm = "Micron\\u00e9sia"
>>> Test failed. 2 errors.
>>> On 13年12月03日 05:10 下午, Michael Fang wrote:
>>>> Please help to review the changes for the following CR:
>>>> The webrev is available here:
>>>> The changes included the following:
>>>> Portuguese files were updated with resources generated from CLDR
>>>> 2.1. LocaleNames_pt_BR.properties have been removed as a result.
>>>> Regression tests were performed and failed tests were updated to be
>>>> compatible with the changes to CLDR 2.1.
>>>> There are also translation capitalization changes. I did some
>>>> research about capitalization rules and found that for Spanish,
>>>> French, Italian, Portuguese, and Swedish, language names are not
>>>> capitalized, but country names are and these are consistent with
>>>> CLDR as well.
>>>> References about capitalization
>>>> es, fr, it, sv, pt, etc
>>>> French: http://french.about.com/library/writing/bl-capitalization.htm
>>>> Italian: http://www.translationdirectory.com/article714.htm
>>>> Swedish: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Swedish/Nationalities
>>>> There are also translation changes performed by translators. I
>>>> reviewed each change against CLDR. I only accepted the changes
>>>> that's consistent with CLDR since I don't know the languages and
>>>> could only use CLDR as a reference.
>>>> I did not add new regression tests for the translation changes
>>>> since there are no formatting changes, just translation changes. We
>>>> have a keyword noreg-l10n that covers the exception for requiring
>>>> regression tests for translation changes.
More information about the i18n-dev