<i18n dev> RFR 9 7131356 : (props) "No Java runtime present, requesting install" when creating VM from JNI [macosx]

Naoto Sato naoto.sato at oracle.com
Tue Jun 21 21:48:24 UTC 2016

Hi Brent,

I looked at the system preference setting panel and noticed there is 
"Spanish (Latin America)", which I think uses UN M.49 code ("es-419") as 
the designate region. Can you make changes to deal with it? (sorry I 
should have noticed this earlier, and it's unfortunate not to be able to 
upcall Locale.forLanguageTag()!)


On 6/20/16 4:38 PM, Brent Christian wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an updated webrev at:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bchristi/7131356/webrev.03/
> The comments have been updated as Gerard suggested.
> The code to process the languageString now accounts for 3-character
> language codes, and 4-char script designations (line 86).
> More extensive testing of languages with multiple scripts/regions
> revealed that more changes were needed to maintain current behavior.
> Without knowing the internal workings of how
> JRSCopyCanonicalLanguageForPrimaryLanguage adjusts the language ID, I
> believe the best options are to add a few more mappings as needed to
> locale_aliases (locale_str.h), and to add a special case for Portuguese
> (line 104).
> OS X has 3 language options for Portuguese:
> Portugues (Portugal)
> Portugues (Brasil)
> Portugues (Brasileiro)
> CFLocaleCopyPreferredLanguages() gives the expected language code for
> Portugues (Brasileiro) ("pt-BR"), but "Portugues (Brasil)" doesn't
> include a region code (it's simply, "pt"), so gets mapped to the default
> country, Portugal.  To maintain current behavior, I added a special case
> to map "pt" to "pt_BR" when the Region system preference is set to Brazil.
> This change introduces one notable behavior change, which I argue is
> actually a fix.  The bug report and test case do not list the "Spanish
> (Mexico)" language, but it is present on MaxOS 10.9 (presumably it was
> added to the OS since the original investigation).  The old code mapped
> this to "es_XL", XL being one of the "user-assigned" ISO 3166 country
> codes.  The new code maps to "es_MX", MX being the country code for Mexico.
> I've tested pretty thoroughly on MacOS 10.9; I'm pretty sure I tried
> every language that includes multiple scripts/locales.  I also added a
> couple updated tests to the bug report.
> General testing has looked good so far.
> Thanks,
> -Brent

More information about the i18n-dev mailing list