<i18n dev> RFR 9 7131356 : (props) "No Java runtime present, requesting install" when creating VM from JNI [macosx]

Brent Christian brent.christian at oracle.com
Thu Jun 23 04:48:28 UTC 2016

On 6/22/16 3:58 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:
> Hi Brent,
> 1. It seems that the display language in the new code seems to have some
> problems. I see (in es-419.txt):
> ---
> locale[Default|Display|Format].getLanguage () is
> user.language: it is
> ---
> And in fact, display strings are no longer in Spanish in the new version
> (as the language is "is").

Strange - something in your local environment?  It looks right to me.

> 2. I think mapping language/script combination to a typical locale is ok
> to keep the compatibility (e.g., "sr-Latn" to "sr_CS", done by the JRS,
> right?) In the meantime, I would like to have "user.script" set to
> "Latn" in such a case.

Is this something that I could file a follow-on issue for?  The existing 
code doesn't set "user.script" in these cases, either, and it looks like 
that would take some digging into java_props_md.c...


> On 6/22/16 2:45 PM, Brent Christian wrote:
>> On 6/21/16 3:27 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:
>>> Actually, j.u.Locale class' "country" code is defined as ISO-3166
>>> alpha-2 *or* UN M.49 numeric-3 area code, so if the OSX's underlying
>>> setting is "es-419" for the preferred language, "user.country" should be
>>> "419".
>> OK, thanks - looks like another latent locale bug on Mac.  I've uploaded
>> output comparing the old [1] and new[2] behavior WRT java.util.Locale
>> under Spanish (Latin America).  It looks correct to me, based on my
>> reading of Locale.toString()/getCountry()toLanguageTag().
>> The updated webrev is here:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bchristi/7131356/webrev.04/
>> The code now works with ISO-3166 alpha-2 and UN M.49 numeric-3 region
>> designators.  The es-419 mapping is no longer needed in locale_str.h.
>> Thanks!
>> -Brent
>> 1. http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bchristi/7131356/webrev.04/es-419.old.txt
>> 2. http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bchristi/7131356/webrev.04/es-419.txt
>>> On 6/21/16 3:17 PM, Brent Christian wrote:
>>>> Hi, Naoto
>>>> "Spanish (Latin America)" already works the same as it did before the
>>>> change - it maps to "es_XL".  Because "es-419" has more than 2
>>>> characters following the '-', no change is made and
>>>> getMacOSXLocale(LC_MESSAGES) returns "es-419".  I added a mapping for
>>>> "es-419" -> "es_XL" in locale_str.h.
>>>> System property values are (still) set to:
>>>>   user.language: es
>>>>   user.country: XL
>>>>   user.country.format: (2-char country code for the selected Region)
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> -Brent
>>>> On 21/06/16 14:48, Naoto Sato wrote:
>>>>> Hi Brent,
>>>>> I looked at the system preference setting panel and noticed there is
>>>>> "Spanish (Latin America)", which I think uses UN M.49 code
>>>>> ("es-419") as
>>>>> the designate region. Can you make changes to deal with it? (sorry I
>>>>> should have noticed this earlier, and it's unfortunate not to be
>>>>> able to
>>>>> upcall Locale.forLanguageTag()!)
>>>>> Naoto
>>>>> On 6/20/16 4:38 PM, Brent Christian wrote:
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>> I have an updated webrev at:
>>>>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bchristi/7131356/webrev.03/
>>>>>> The comments have been updated as Gerard suggested.
>>>>>> The code to process the languageString now accounts for 3-character
>>>>>> language codes, and 4-char script designations (line 86).
>>>>>> More extensive testing of languages with multiple scripts/regions
>>>>>> revealed that more changes were needed to maintain current behavior.
>>>>>> Without knowing the internal workings of how
>>>>>> JRSCopyCanonicalLanguageForPrimaryLanguage adjusts the language ID, I
>>>>>> believe the best options are to add a few more mappings as needed to
>>>>>> locale_aliases (locale_str.h), and to add a special case for
>>>>>> Portuguese
>>>>>> (line 104).
>>>>>> OS X has 3 language options for Portuguese:
>>>>>> Portugues (Portugal)
>>>>>> Portugues (Brasil)
>>>>>> Portugues (Brasileiro)
>>>>>> CFLocaleCopyPreferredLanguages() gives the expected language code for
>>>>>> Portugues (Brasileiro) ("pt-BR"), but "Portugues (Brasil)" doesn't
>>>>>> include a region code (it's simply, "pt"), so gets mapped to the
>>>>>> default
>>>>>> country, Portugal.  To maintain current behavior, I added a special
>>>>>> case
>>>>>> to map "pt" to "pt_BR" when the Region system preference is set to
>>>>>> Brazil.
>>>>>> This change introduces one notable behavior change, which I argue is
>>>>>> actually a fix.  The bug report and test case do not list the
>>>>>> "Spanish
>>>>>> (Mexico)" language, but it is present on MaxOS 10.9 (presumably it
>>>>>> was
>>>>>> added to the OS since the original investigation).  The old code
>>>>>> mapped
>>>>>> this to "es_XL", XL being one of the "user-assigned" ISO 3166 country
>>>>>> codes.  The new code maps to "es_MX", MX being the country code for
>>>>>> Mexico.
>>>>>> I've tested pretty thoroughly on MacOS 10.9; I'm pretty sure I tried
>>>>>> every language that includes multiple scripts/locales.  I also
>>>>>> added a
>>>>>> couple updated tests to the bug report.
>>>>>> General testing has looked good so far.
>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>> -Brent

More information about the i18n-dev mailing list